Saturday Special : Chinese Porridges


The lady running the stall was a Vietnamese lady, married to a local, I suspect; there are many instances of local Chinese men taking Vietnamese brides these days. Chinese brides seem so hard to come by especially to some Chinese men who are poorly educated and not so well off financially. The men can however still afford arranged marriages with ladies from Vietnam; the latter normally could speak Mandarin and don't mind the hard life. The lady running the stall was hardworking no doubt; and was getting me to buy her porridge. There were fish porridge, chicken porridge and century egg porridge. I decided to have the century egg porridge for lunch.
 Vietnamese porridges, I read are sometimes cooked with pandan leaves and mung beans. No pandan leaves and mung beans in my porridge though. It only came with yaw cha kwai or youtiao. All the porridges do indeed look Chinese!


More Saturday Specials!

Comments