I Dream of Lesotho

Lesotho is a small, mountainous country surrounded by South Africa. I have heard of Lesotho; never ever dream of visiting it; yet had dreamt of being there, backpacking with a friend. We were in a military base, wandering and then at a certain section, there seemed to be a flood. We waded in the water and as we waded, my friend suddenly disappeared and then, I realised he has dropped down a cliff. A few locals were scurrying to the scene of the accident and I rushed aimlessly, coming suddenly to a Chinese shop. I knocked desperately on the door and a pretty Chinese girl emerged speaking some local language. I blurted in English, explaining my predicament. Then, some family members came home; and the girl went indoor with the younger woman while the more elderly one turned to talk to me. She asked if I could speak Cantonese and I said I wasn't very good. We proceeded into the house and there were two babies dressed like Africans in the living room. We went to the balcony and in the distance, there was a majestic building. When I googled about Chinese in Lesotho, there is indeed an immigrant community of Chinese people there. Chinese there speak the local language and interact well with locals and could even be found in the smallest towns in Lesotho.They are  engaged in retail and textile manufacturing and one of the biggest domestic industries, textiles is largely operated by Taiwanese expatriates. For that, I thought they probably speak Mandarin or the Minnan dialects.


Comments