A Chinese Song: 月亮代表我的心 The Moon Represents My Heart

Have seen long ago the video version of the 1950 American film; Bette Davis's All About Eve but it was only recently that I actually watched the South Korean television version starring Chae Rim, Kim So-yeon, Jang Dong-gun and Han Jae-suk. Thuan Hee had recommended the Korean series which I remember seeing snippets of when it was first shown somewhere in 2000. It was a big hit then but I was only recently interested when I saw the first episode and discovered that part of it was shot on location in Cambridge. It was like walking down memory lane and there we were again, my friends and I punting along the River Cam! Episode 15 was another surprise when it reminded of a famed Taiwanese songbird; the late Teresa Teng's song was featured in one scene. I remember having dinner and drinking red wine in Salzburg, Austria when a violinist played the song and my friends and I had burst out singing in delight. I suppose that song is world renown, 月亮代表我的心 The Moon Represents My Heart. American rockstar Jon Bon Jovi sang it and so did Filipino singer-songwriter Marcelito Pomoy and New Zealander Hayley Dee Westenra. The song which was composed by Weng Ching-hsi 翁清溪 was actually first sung by Chen Fen-lan 陳芬蘭 in 1972.Teresa only recorded it in 1977 and from then on, it became a massive hit.

Comments