Chinese Maths



Some weeks ago, I read that schools in neighbouring Singapore teach Chinese Mathematics. USA too. Then, I was thinking that so far, I've only heard of Chinese virus. Chinese Mathematics is something new and a surprise to me. There we were, all the while in schools learning the numeral systems, algebra, geometry and trigonometry, not knowing that ancient Chinese have learned them too. Then I recall vaguely a story of the much respected engineer Yi Kaizhan who was involved in the building of the Great Wall of China. He was a mathematician and he calculated that it would take exactly 99,999 bricks to build the Jiayuguan Pass in Gansu, China. He was questioned on the accuracy and decided to add one extra brick. The extra brick is now at Xiwong city gate and a magical legend had developed around it. Mathematics actually has emerged independently in China as early as the 11th century BC. There were already major Mathematics texts during the Han Dynasty such as The Nine Chapters on the Mathematical Art and the Book on Numbers and Computation and Yi Kaizhan reportedly was well versed in the former. I wouldn't be surprised; the latter too.

Comments