Revered Immortals

There's a calendar at home with the picture of the Eight Immortals 八仙. I remember seeing a B grade movie when a kid; depicting the eight immortals crossing the sea; and I suppose that's the Bohai Sea because these immortals are said to live on the islands there. I remember only one of the immortals being a female and she was always carrying a basket of flowers.  A male immortal whom I remember always kept a paper donkey in his sleeves which he would just  take it out when he needed a ride, blow it and it would immediately  turn into a real donkey. So, it was a fun, magical movie for me. Eight Immortals have a long history; that's for sure. Said to have been born in the Tang or Shang Dynasty, some of the members are real historical figures and all eight have become revered Taoist immortals with temples dedicated to them in China,Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia, too.

Comments