Different Shades of Angku

Yesterday, I went home and there on the table was a tray of homemade angku. That's Chinese festive food if you remember; but there wasn't any festival at the moment and the angku were made just to please hungry stomachs. They  were all light green in colour as a result of the juice from the aromatic daun pandan; very unusual actually. Orange angku should be the norm. Mom always made them orange ; so, I was  rather surprised when a friend  told of green angku being sold in Serdang, Kedah. Later, green angku  seemed to become common and I got to see them in Taiping and elsewhere; in Penang, Malacca; but the green were usually of a darker shade. In Jonker Street, Malacca to, I had a black one for supper and there was one I saw in Taiping which was purple.







Comments