An Attempt at Chinese Painting

Not too long ago, I was at Popular bookshop in Taiping, browsing through the books when I met who else but my former Chinese painting teacher. His son had grown tremendously tall but he had looked the same after all these years. My Chinese painting skills, sad to say, had remained the same too. I remember my teacher teaching us to draw on papers used for making kites and using black Chinese ink and some cheap coloured paints that came in a box like those water colours in the shops. We, some aunties and I, were taught to draw rocks initially and progressed on to plum blossoms, crysanthemums, Chinese bamboos and lotuses. Our teacher made it so easy and it was theoretically -A few simple strokes could create all those beautiful images but mind you, there must be still some inborn skills involved and lots of discipline,too. The aunties in the class usually came in after doing their marketing and would rush off to cook after the hour or so lesson. They were bored housewives, I suppose, but definitely not desperate housewives - and when their boredom persisted, they left the class and in the end, the class had to be closed. So, there ended my attempt at Chinese painting - a beautiful experience indeed!


Chinese Paintings for you viewing pleasure! Can you find the rock?










Comments

Liudmila said…
I adore this type of painting and would learn to paint so with great pleasure. It would be great if you have here some lessons and tell us about this art more. It's incredibly interesting!!!
footiam said…
I adore all sorts of paintings, even oil paintings. Check mine athttp://steptpg.blogspot.com/2007/09/my-very-own-naive-art.html Nice?.
Liudmila said…
I really like it. Specially those fishes.
footiam said…
Oh, that - that's real fishes from Pulau Payar in Malaysia! I visited
that isolated island years ago and we could see a lot of fishes from
the boat.
Ianny said…
Chinese art.. those fluid, seemingly simple strokes are amazing.