Couplets for Decoration

When I was taking a stroll in Penang's Queensmall Bay early this year, I came across a little fair selling all things Chinese. Red strips of papers with Chinese characters written on it reminded me of this traditional Chinese practice of pasting duilian on the doors and walls of the homes. Duilian is couplet written on vertical strips of red paper in the best calligraphic style possible. Dui Lian by the way, should not be confused with chun lian. The latter is actually a special type of duilian. Since it was just after Chinese New Year when I was at Queensbay Mall, I thought the couplet I have seen should be chun lian since chun lian is used for decoration during for Chinese New Year celebration and unlike duilian which is permanent, chunlian is a temporary decoration. Both however, have positive, inspiring phrases which lifted the spirits.

Comments

Liudmila said…
Well, I did not understand where is the first and where is the second. For New year on the right?
footiam said…
I am quite certain that both are for the new year. The one to the left especially has the words like the rat leaves and the cow comes.... that refers to the year of the rat and cow. There is one single word on the right that has the word, luck and I suppose it can be used all the year round. The word luck is often pasted upside down, to bring the meaninfg that luck falls down to the household. Nice thoughts, don't you think?
Liudmila said…
I like these symbolism. I even have some feng shui pictures in house. But I did not understood if they take me much luck and money or not. ;^)))
footiam said…
Sometimes, I think it is the positive feelings of hope that is important!