Changes

Oh, so I've read many times, Chap Goh Meh, the last day of Chinese New Year, being  Chinese Valentine's Day and single women throw oranges with their names and telephone number written on them in the hope that some young men may pick them up. But really, I do think  that's a thing of the past. I don't see or hear of people practising it nowadays and even the years before that; at least not here in Taiping whereas in Penang, it is treated more like a game. Nowadays, there's always dating websites or even Facebook in the Net where one can get connected and then, for a long time, Chinese girls have not been forbid from venturing out of  the home; they go to public schools and elsewhere freely and get too meet boys and get close even if they choose to. Time changes and I suppose it's the same thing too when it comes to tossing Yee Sang. It used to be done on the seventh day to celebrate the Day of Humankind 人日 Ren Ri; but this year, my family, friends and I tossed several times, not just on the seventh day but even before Chinese New Year and after, on the sixteenth day. Traditionally, Yee Sang comprises thin slices of pickled vegetables and other ingredients but the one at home were made of fresh fruits. Then, on 人日 Ren Ri, my niece even celebrated with a birthday cake!






Comments