Traditional Chinese Clogs

Klompen, träskor, or geta; they are all clogs from Netherlands, Sweden and Japan respectively; and all made of wood, I suppose; just like Chinese clogs. Chinese clogs, traditional ones I mean, are unlike the ones sold in Alibaba; the latter look more plastic and resemble more of the klompen or träskor. Where I'm living, traditional Chinese clogs are still in use, mainly as footwear to the bathroom and toilet. Rarely would you see a person in town wearing them when one can opt for the  more fashionable Nike or Adidas. I remember in the 70s, the more dainty red clogs, some painted with delicate flowers, form part of the dowries of bride to be. Not so sure if  this is still in practice but in Melaka, red clogs are still on sale. Some have the pictures of Kitty Cat and Doraemon, popular Japanese cartoon characters painted on them and I suppose they are more for the tourists to the historical city. Chinese clogs are here to stay!

Comments