The Fan

I attended a wedding ceremony the other day and got from the host, a hand fan - the folding type which you often seen carried by gentlemen in kung fu movies. Fans were already in existence in China since the 2nd century BC. Then, Chinese fans were made of bamboo but today, you could probably find some made of ivory, bone, mica, mother of pearl, sandalwood, tortoise shell or any other materials. Fans were already fashionable during the Ming dynasty and I would believe it was fashionable in Malaysia too for a brief period during the 19th century. As a child, I remember seeing them being distributed during Chinese weddings to the male entourage who accompanies the bridegroom to fetch the bride from her house. The practice probably stopped or if it persists, I suppose I didn't attend many wedding to bear witness. Anyway, just like to inform you that the the hand fan was rather handy in a hot and humid place like Malaysia!

Comments