Talking about Tai Chi

Early one morning, I was having a breakfast of curry mee at a stall in Kampong Boyan, Taiping. Just across the stall is a temple. As I sat there waiting for my food, I noticed a group of ladies practising Tai Chi to the accompaniment of music from a cassette player. It seems that in parks around the world, people could now be found going through the slow motion routines of Tai Chi. In Taiping, this scene could be seen in the early morning in the picturesque Taiping Lake Gardens for as long as I could remember and now, there is this new group in the Chinese temple in Kampong Boyan. I remember seeing the same scene outside a shopping complex in Tientsin, China in the 80s. People everywhere are rather health consciuous, I suppose. As it is, Tai chi, said to be an internal Chinese martial art is often practiced for health reasons. There are actually many forms of Tai Chi; never mind the glamorous form portrayed in movies like Yuen Wo Ping's Tai Chi Master, starring kung fu star, Jet Li...just enjoy this...

Tai Chi Master, the movie starring Jet Li...

Comments

Liudmila said…
I think it's very good usage. For psychical health first of all. Company, friends, movement-everything to begin happy the day. Specially if you are alone.
footiam said…
I like the idea of exercising in big groups in the early morning . Especially if you are retired, this will allow you to be with friends and have some fun.