Of Devils and Babies

Fancy a baby jumping festival! This event which is held in Castrillo de Murcia, Spain is really nothing new, having been staged since 1620 to celebrate the Christian Feast, Corpus Christi. During the festival, grown men dressed as the devil leap over a row of babies lying in the street. Talking about the devil and babies, in ancient China, it is the norm to name babies AhTu or Ah Kow which means pig and dog respectively. Naming the babies after animals purportedly confuses the Devil and stop the latter from harming them. I wonder about the significance of the devil jumping over the babies.

Comments

Liudmila said…
Oh my god, it's really a devil feast. I would never put a baby in a similar place!
footiam said…
Michael Jackson just put it outside the window and got into much criticism!
Liudmila said…
Well, he is known worldwide for his special love for children. That is why, I think...
footiam said…
Love, I suppose is a weird thing!